Cowboy Detective Novels

"I Heart Film" photo from Pinterest

“Life isn’t divided into genres.

It’s a horrifying, romantic, tragic, comical, science-fiction

cowboy detective novel.” -Alan Moore

This week has been one for the books, filled to the brim with lots of unexpected ups and downs that seem impossible to categorize. And, it ain’t over; the Burbank International Film Festival kicks off tonight, so I’m lacing up my schmoozing shoes for a smattering of horror-film screenings and sci-fi theme parties. The juxtaposition of all the genre movies ahead with the uncategorizable nature of the week reminds me of this quote from the famous comic-book author, Alan Moore, and I must say thinking of life as a “horrifying, romantic, tragic, comical, science-fiction cowboy detective novel” flat-out makes me smile. Is it just me, or does this quote also prompt you to take a step back and giggle with awe at the randomness of life? I am going to try my hardest to embrace the zany nature of whatever comes my way in the days ahead, and I’ll be sure to let you know if there’s any happy news about my script, which is one of five nominees for “Best Screenplay” at the festival. Keep your fingers crossed for me, and a leave a comment for good luck.

Psst: One of the sweet spots of my week has been learning that my post about why I’ll never be a famous blogger is featured on Metaphors in Blue today. Perhaps you could categorize this as a feel-good dose of irony…By the by, I found this photo via Pinterest. I hope this cowboy detective novel of life is treating you fabulously today, my dear readers!

• Reply Englishvers September 15, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Glad to hear you’ve been nominated. Here’s wishing you the warmest of luck, hence the comment. Now off to read your sweet post at Metaphors in Blue. What a pretty name for a blog, too!

• Reply Blue September 16, 2011 at 1:31 am

Love the quote!
    And I wish you all the good luck there is in to world!
    And you’re welcome for the linking/post featuring, I love sharing the stuff I like on my blog…

• Reply Annette September 16, 2011 at 2:59 am

Good Luck with your nomination!!! I am anticipating lots of good stories about all the festivities, schmoozing and sights of this week…

• Reply Jennifer R. Coté September 16, 2011 at 11:16 am

Ah, to bask in the warm glow of lucky wishes in the morning. :) Thank you so much for the support, you guys! They announce the winner on Sunday, so I’ll keep you posted on that and all the other quirky stuff I’m sure to encounter between now and then.. Happy Friday!

• Reply FinishingSchoolRules September 17, 2011 at 7:18 am

1. Win contest.
    2. Sell script.
    3. Invite me to the premiere.
    ‘K?
    : )
    Good luck!!!

• Reply Jennifer R. Coté September 17, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Thank you for these awesome rules, sir. They spread a huge smile across my face this morning, and I am now scribbling them across my hand. I particularly like #3, because the idea of seeing you is beyond smile-inducing. I am holding these lucky wishes close to my heart. :)

• Reply Pat Oey September 17, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Bonne chance!!!!

• Reply Jennifer R. Coté September 19, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Just a quick update: I wanted to let you guys know I didn’t end up winning the “Best Screenplay” award, which means I am now completely bitter (please read this inside your head with a very sarcastic voice). 😉 All kidding aside, I actually learned a lot at the film festival and I’m still hopeful that being a finalist will be helpful somewhere down the road. I am now carrying your happy thoughts with me as I move onto new projects…Thank you guys so much for the support and lucky wishes!