Organizing, Sweet Nothings

Creative Clutter

Shrine for Steve Jobs in front of the Apple Store in Santa Monica, CA - I bet his mind was a lot less cluttered than this homage

My weekend was a quiet one all about reading, watching bad movies, and doing lots of tiny housekeeping tasks that have been nagging at me. Chief among these pesky to-do items was the job of finally cleaning out and coating my new dresser drawers in polyurethane, which means my clothes no longer live in big, plastic moving bins. It’s amazing how little things like this can clutter both our living spaces and minds when they go untended to week after week. I usually only realize how much these tasks weigh on me after they are finally done, though, and right now is no exception. I’m feeling so much lighter as I enter the week, as though my synapses are firing at record-high speeds, and I’m ready to tackle all the challenges of my current writing projects with a fresh perspective. In case you need a little extra push to get your brilliant brain going in a similar way on this lovely Monday, I figured I would share a few images of some quirky, creative souls I spotted while strolling through Santa Monica yesterday…

This man stood in the middle of an outdoor shopping center dancing two monkey puppets to the music of a boombox

Clown eating potato chips on a park bench in Santa Monica

Psst: I hope these photos make you smile, and that they find you starting off the week in a most uncluttered way. Are you like me in that a good bout of organizing/doing little life tasks helps you be more creative and productive in your work? Or, are you good at compartmentalizing your internal spaces and external world in a way that lets you be productive no matter how many bills and dirty dishes are nagging at you? If you’re this latter type, please let me know your secret! Leave a comment.

• Reply Englishvers October 11, 2011 at 12:30 am

I am a collector – so I collect antique books, art and so forth.
    It’s quite easy not to clutter one’s life. Discard the things which are not inspirational and nriching for daily living.

• Reply Jennifer R. Coté October 11, 2011 at 1:05 am

I think the concept of editing down one’s possessions and getting rid of anything that is not inspiring is spot-on, Ms. Englishvers! Judging by your blog, you have impeccable taste, so I would love to see some of your inspiring collections. 🙂

• Reply wida October 11, 2011 at 1:07 am

They did make me smile 🙂 Especially the clown on the bench! What a sight!

Wida
    Missing Amsie Blog

• Reply Jennifer R. Coté October 11, 2011 at 12:33 pm

That clown gets me every time, too, Wida. The crazy thing is: I’m pretty sure I actually spotted the same clown sitting at a bus stop a few weeks ago. I was driving through crazy traffic and could not snap a picture, so I figured that photo op was gone forever. By some rare stroke of luck, I saw him again this weekend and got a second chance, though. 🙂 Thanks so much for reading!

• Reply kristina@beancakes ★ October 13, 2011 at 9:16 pm

hi cote ~ what a nice shrine for the genius steve jobs! i hate a cluttered mind and the way that i handle that is to create and get everything out either on paper or out into the digital world! and a clean sink definitely helps the process along!! 😉 😉
    xoxo ~ ks
    p.s. that clown is just great!!

• Reply Jennifer R. Coté October 14, 2011 at 12:43 am

Your tip about getting everything out on paper really is such a good one, Kristina! I find I feel so much less scattered when I write every possible reminder down the moment I think of it (as opposed to stressing out about the fact that I’ve got something banging around in my brain that I may or may not remember). The trick is, of course, remembering to follow through and actually use this bit of advice. 😉