Remains of the Day

Glittery, pink rose I spotted in the middle of the road the other day - I can only imagine it is the remains of something glorious

I am in the midst of one of the strangest, longest, and most time-consuming job interviews I will probably ever be a part of, which means now is one of those odd times in life when my hours are so jam-packed that I feel as though I need to remind myself to breathe. The whole process of interviewing for what may likely prove to be my dream job (more details to come when I find out whether or not I land it) is stressful, dizzying, and invigorating all at once. And, the combination of all these emotions plus the time constraints of a never-ending interview have left me scrambling for what feels like leftover hours, minutes, and seconds at the end of every day. Shifting our routines in this way and working around others’ schedules in order to follow our passions is one of the tricks of life, and that is definitely the task I’m facing right now. Do you have any secrets for dealing with massive shifts in your routine, or tricks for making the time to do something for yourself even when you’re working 12-hour days? I would love to hear from you, darling readers, and hope the remains of your day are nothing but the sweetest right now. Leave a comment.

• Reply Tony November 15, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Drink plenty of green tea until 4pm. Drink plenty of wine after 7pm. Meditate throughout the day for 15 minutes.

• Reply Jennifer R. Coté November 15, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Thank you for this sage wisdom, Tony. You are far more zen than me. I think the idea of dividing the day into green-tea-drinking segments and wine-drinking segments is excellent. Must emulate this. 😉

• Reply letiziabarcelona November 15, 2011 at 11:25 pm

the thing I do for myself is my blog ! and actually I have to admit, I work on it during my “real work” hours…very bad, and risky I know! Anyway I work 38 hours a week like a lot of people and I have time for myself…but the problem is not the time, it’s “what to do” and the money…so many things to do, but no money! facing big economic crisis in Spain right now.

• Reply Jennifer R. Coté November 16, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Letizia, I could not agree with you more about the fact that blogging every day is a great way to ensure you make time for yourself. Sometimes blogging starts to feel like work for me when I’m really crunched for time and am having a hard time fitting it into the day, so thank you so much for reminding me that this is one of those things I’m doing for me! 🙂

• Reply Anna November 16, 2011 at 2:59 am

i seem to be in the same situation as you. excited to see what other suggest. there’s just never enough hours in the day. thanks for sharing, love. I’ve got a new post all about pushing your style to the edge. Love to hear what you think. xo

• Reply Jennifer R. Coté November 16, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Seriously, where do all the hours in the day run off to, Anna? 😉 Thanks for reading, my dear!

• Reply kristina@beancakes ★ November 16, 2011 at 10:27 am

hi jennifer ~ all i must say is that there will soon be a time to relax and breathe! if you can see this light at the end of the stressful tunnel, you will be okay!! just hold on and sit tight ~ how exciting for you!! i will keep my fingers crossed cote!! happy wednesday and try not to stress 😉 😉
    xoxo ~ kristina

• Reply Jennifer R. Coté November 16, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Thank you so much for crossing your fingers on my behalf, Kristina! I’ve got all my toes crossed as well. 😉 Your advice about keeping an eye on the light at the end of the tunnel is so right on. I am going to remind myself of this every hour over the next few crazy weeks. Thank you beyond measure for your support, and for encouraging the green tea and wine regimen. 😉

• Reply kristina@beancakes ★ November 16, 2011 at 10:29 am

^^oh and i forgot to add that i agree w. tony’s advice!! green tea and wine drinking = that is great 😉 😉
    xx ~ k