Inspiring Tidbits

Wild and Precious

Excerpt from a Mary Oliver poem, print by Sarah London

This evening marks a whole week into my one screenplay/one month challenge, and I’m feeling invigorated yet daunted by the three weeks of work still looming ahead. Some ridiculous movie-making and home-related emergencies came up over the past few days that needled at me to call it quits on my challenge before I’d barely begun, but I stuck to my guns and cranked out 27 new script pages between last Thursday and this morning, and right now I find myself simply wondering what I can do to ensure I repeat this process several more weeks in a row. I suppose this means the real question I’m asking myself is this: what is it that prevents us from giving up and ensures we keep creating even when we aren’t feeling in the zone? I don’t think there’s any one right fix for everybody, but I do know that over the last week whenever I found myself wanting to quit, I slowed down and tried to remember why I was doing this in the first place.

My reasons for partaking in this self-imposed challenge were plentiful, ranging from my love affair with the story I’m writing to the grand visions I cling to of what I long to accomplish with my life over the long haul. Basically, I kept coming to the conclusion that if I wanted to share this story with the world I had to first get it out onto the page. And, there’s no better time to get a story onto the page than right here and now. Although the Mary Oliver poem excerpted above (which you can read in full via The Library of Congress) is about soaking up the simple and fleeting beauty of nature, I figured I would share it with you because the question it begs pretty much sums up the spirit that is keeping me going/writing up a storm at the moment…So, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? Or, perhaps the less daunting query would be: what is it you plan to do with this one wild and precious day? Do tell! Leave a comment.

Print by Sarah London via Pinterest.

• Reply letiziabarcelona November 8, 2011 at 12:10 pm

your job really seems super interesting, and challenging..so you’re writing screenplays? it seems really demanding too, I mean where do you find the inspiration, you must be thinking about it all the time ?

• Reply Jennifer R. Coté November 8, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Haha, Letiizia, you just hit the nail squarely on the head. 😉 I really do think about story ideas all the time. I try to shut my brain off to this stuff during relationship “quality time,” but my husband puts up with a lot. On numerous occasions over dinner I’ve ranted to him for at least half an hour about the drama-filled troubles of my characters, and he’s had to stop me to ask, “Wait, who are these people again?” Immediately I always flush, apologize, and admit that I’m talking about characters from my scripts (not real people)…The wonderful thing is that I do what I love; the not-so-wonderful thing is that I do it all the time. 😉

• Reply Jennifer Fabulous November 8, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I am in awe of you. Just thinking about writing a screenplay makes my eyes widen. What a daunting task! And yet here you are, taking it on like a pro. 😉

I’m in the process of writing a book right now and I’m not gonna lie, it is freaking HARD. The writing itself isn’t hard, it’s just my own fear of rejection that is getting in the way. I’m so terrified it won’t be good enough that days will go by where I’m too scared to even start up again. But then I do, and the whole process starts all over again. :S

• Reply Jennifer R. Coté November 8, 2011 at 3:07 pm

It’s awesome to hear that you’re in the midst of writing a book, Jennifer! I can totally relate to the frustrating task of coping with fear, insecurities, and all the nagging voices inside your head. There’s so much more than just the process of writing that goes into getting words onto the page. It’s as though in addition to being writers we also need to be psychologists and cheerleaders. 😉 Thanks for your words of encouragement about my screenplay, by the way. I’m sending happy writing vibes in your direction as well!

• Reply ellie November 8, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Wow I can’t even imagine writing a screen play, let alone in one month. That’s quite a challenge! Hope you sorted out the emergencies!

-Ellie

• Reply Jennifer R. Coté November 8, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Thanks for all the happy, creative thoughts, Ellie! I can also happily say all emergencies were safely averted last week. 🙂

• Reply Erin November 9, 2011 at 12:21 am

Gorgeous post! I plan to be an advertiser, a loving daughter, mother, and wife with my life.

xx

Erin @ http://www.trufflesnruffles.com/

• Reply Jennifer R. Coté November 9, 2011 at 11:46 am

Thank you for sharing, Erin! It sounds like you have so many glorious and beautiful things ahead in your life, my dear. 🙂

• Reply kristina@beancakes ★ November 9, 2011 at 8:03 am

hi cote! what a wonderful post here ~ and such a relevant question that i’m sure everyone asks themselves, i know i do! hmmm, what do i want to do w. my life?, i’m still figuring that one out! i want to keep on creating for one, well that really isn’t a want for me, i NEED to keep on creating because i have so many ideas swimming around inside my head 😉 😉 usually if i’m feeling uninspired, i take a break from what i’m doing ~ the inspiration always seems to find it’s way back! p.s. congratulations on your script writings! wow!! you are simply amazing my friend, amazing!! you’re on the road to success, you deserve it!!
    xoxo ~ kristina

• Reply Jennifer R. Coté November 9, 2011 at 11:54 am

I totally know what you mean about creating being more of a NEED than a want, Kristina. It’s really nice and comforting to know that – no matter how goals change or our paths shift – our lives will always be filled with the act of creating, isn’t it? Thank you so much for the happy, creativity-boosting script wishes, by the way! 🙂

• Reply Anna November 10, 2011 at 12:38 am

God I don’t even know where to begin! haha That is probably my problem though, I think I have too many dreams that I want with this precious life (but what a precious life it is). I really truely love visiting your blog – it always makes me think, (now where did I put those hints of yours for goals and to do lists! haha). For me though, ultimatley, I want to be in a job I love, be the best person I can be in life in general and never have money worries (very broad but thats what keeps me working hard in the interium). GOODLUCK lovely with the goal. I love the idea that you’re trying to use the present time to get this what I’m sure is an amazing story on paper.

Anna xo

• Reply Jennifer R. Coté November 10, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Thank you for the supportive words, Anna! I think you are right on with your goal of wanting to do what you love for a living and not have money worries. I think when we work toward spending as much of our time as possible doing the things we love (while making sure we take care of our life/money needs) everything eventually falls into place. 🙂