Kitsch Fixes

Kitsch Fix #63: Not-So-Tough Guys

Giant, foam cowboy overlooking the showroom of Wertz Brothers in Santa Monica, CA

Upon a recent visit to my favorite furniture store, I had a run in with some larger-than-life cowboys and mobsters. They wielded shotguns, puffed cigars, stared me down, and would have scared me out of my wits if they hadn’t been made of vinyl and foam. Maybe it’s the fact that these wall hangings are twice my size that confounds me, or perhaps it’s just that these seemingly tough guys are so soft to the touch, but one thing’s certain: people hand the darndest things above their mantels…

Wouldn’t want to go to the mattresses with this guy, would ya?

For just $38 this cowboy could stare you down daily

Or, maybe these sporty derrieres are what these macho men have their sights set on…

Psst: Yes, these garish things were actually for sale at an antique warehouse that is otherwise full of very tasteful pieces. Do you think someone really hung these on their walls at home? Or do you think these giant wall hangings were salvaged from an old bowling alley or movie theater? Leave a comment.

• Reply Laine December 8, 2011 at 9:21 am

What’s not tasteful about these?! LOL.

• Reply Jennifer R. Coté December 8, 2011 at 8:38 pm

You’re so right, Laine. I retract my description of “garish.” What was I thinking? I want each one of these hanging in my living room pronto. 😉

• Reply Tony December 8, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Several John Waynes…I’m pretty sure the man in white is Sydney Greenstreet, great character guy from a bunch of old Bogart flicks…the posteriors are unknown to me.

• Reply Jennifer R. Coté December 11, 2011 at 5:51 pm

This is very valuable information, Tony. It’s good to know that the man who knows oh-so-many movie characters is just as stumped as I am by the posteriors.

• Reply kristina@beancakes ★ December 8, 2011 at 9:03 pm

haha! you know what jennifer? a bowling alley does sound like a good place for these pieces, but i don’t know, i wouldn’t mind having one in my home somewhere!! {i guess i’m kind of a sucker for kitschy things as you know!}
    xo ~ kristina

• Reply Jennifer R. Coté December 11, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I must also admit well-placed, giant, foam John Wayne really wouldn’t be all that bad to have in one’s home, Kristina. 😉