Sweet Nothings, Travel

Just Go

How can this image of gnomes and a wiener dog peering out of a trailer not inspire wanderlust?

I’ve had this unshakable urge to do something irresponsible, err spontaneous, lately. I’ve been itching to pack up my car on a moment’s notice, hit the road with my sweet, and just go. Go where? I’m not sure, but I know even the simplest trip up the Pacific Coast Highway would prove to be a fabulous adventure. This feeling of wanderlust has even entered my dreams, and I’ve woken up several mornings convinced that I’ll find an Airstream trailer or old Volkswagen bus parked in my driveway along with keys in the ignition and a note that reads “Drive Me.” In one such dream, I ended up road-tripping in a trailer that had a spinning cupcake on top of it (a la these kitschy trailers), so my love and I went with the flow and sold cupcakes all the way from Los Angeles to San Luis Obispo. Needless to say, my dreams are getting more bizarre and delicious by the minute, and I’m now starting to crave buttercream frosting along with the cool feel of an Airstream’s steering wheel. I guess my subconscious is – if nothing else – trying to reassure me that life is most wonderful when we just go with it…

In my dreams, this is what my rear-view mirror looks like and I'm always on the open road

In my dreams, this is what my rear-view mirror looks like and I’m always on the open road

Psst: What do you see in the rear-view mirrors of your dreams? Leave a comment.

Images are from Pinterest, and The 189 via Willow and Frank.

• Reply Catherine Jackson September 12, 2012 at 10:57 am

Let’s go together!!! 🙂

• Reply Coté September 12, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Yes, Miss Catherine, let’s! A girl’s road trip would be so much fun and we could do so many quirky art projects along the way. 🙂

• Reply Laine Griffin September 12, 2012 at 2:24 pm

One of my dreams is to sell everything and buy a camper and just hit the road! Stay in campsites and a hotel once a week, and just…be. Maybe if we are ever able to retire!

• Reply Coté September 12, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Ah, that is the dream, Laine…There really is something so romantic and cathartic about being unencumbered by all the daily stuff of life – be it material possessions, chores, nagging family members, etc. Yikesies, this list of things that weigh us down can go on and on. I, too, want to grow old with my love, retire, and then spend a whole lot of time just being. Here’s to running into each other at a national park someday when we’re both living out of our winnebagos. 🙂

• Reply Pat Oey September 14, 2012 at 8:35 am

Can I be a taste tester for your cupcakes? 🙂

• Reply Coté September 14, 2012 at 9:30 am

Haha, yes, Pat! When I finally get that trailer, I’ll be sure to drive it a little farther north and meet up with you for a very serious cupcake tasting. 😉

• Reply Laine Griffin October 10, 2012 at 4:41 am

Wouldn’t that be just great?! Hey, you never know!