Daylight Elevations

A photo from Laurent Chehere;s Flying Houses series, currently on display at the Muriel Guepin Gallery in New York City

A photo from Laurent Chehere’s Flying Houses series, currently on display at the Muriel Guepin Gallery in NYC

That time of year is upon us again, when the mornings come far too soon and the nights end before they’ve begun. I often respond to Daylight Savings’ fall-back-an-hour-and-make-the-world-horrendously-dark time shift by staying indoors, eating cookies, and bundling up in every piece of wool I can find. Shortbread-chocolate-thumbprint pastries, pumpkin-spiced anything, socks, snickerdoodles, blankets — check, check, check, check, and check. This year I’m trying to stay a bit healthier, though, and I’m desperately scouring the internet and my friend’s noggins to figure out every possible secret of staying productive and upbeat while the world around us turns so dark.

I really think it is the physical darkness that makes this autumnal time shift so difficult; the sun sets so dang early after all, and very few of us have the kind of job flexibility that lets us come home and spend time in nature before 5 p.m., so life can start to feel downright gloomy. I don’t know about you, but when brisk, late-afternoon strolls with my pup start disappearing from my schedule, my days start feeling very devoid of joy. An ingenious pal recently suggested I nip this downtrodden feeling in the bud by waking up an hour earlier and actually switching some of my outdoor rituals to the morning. Sure, motivating myself to throw off my covers and get moving at the crack of dawn on the chilliest days of the year will be a little challenging at first, but that’s why I’ve already started wearing wool socks 24/7 anyway, right? I think the idea to exercise in nature early in the morning and really capitalize on the hours of daylight is a wonderful way to elevate and brighten the mood of even the darkest days of the year. Are there any other fall/time-change coping mechanisms that you have or you’ve been planning to try out? I would love to hear about ’em! Leave a comment.

Photo by Laurent Chehere via the Holiday Boutique Blog.

• Reply Pat Oey November 4, 2013 at 9:36 am

Great suggestions! Thank you Jennifer!

• Reply Jennifer Coté November 4, 2013 at 9:54 am

Thank you for reading, Pat! I hope your fall days are sunny and filled with yummy pumpkin-spice smells. 🙂

• Reply Elaine Griffin November 4, 2013 at 10:43 am

Jennifer! I’ve missed you! I haven’t been hanging in the blogosphere lately.
    I have a tendency to lock myself inside all weekend. I was “forced” out of this yesterday – on our coldest day yet, and I have to tell you, being outside, even in the fierce cold, really brightened my spirits. I made a mental note to keep getting out. Thanks for the reminder that fresh air, especially crisp air, is refreshing and a great cure for the Winter “blahs.”

• Reply Jennifer Coté November 4, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I’ve missed you, too, Laine! Sometimes the blogosphere is a bit overwhelming, though, and what we really need is a crisp walk outdoors. 😉 Nevertheless, I always love seeing your smart blogging tips pop up in my Pinterest feed. Really great hearing from you!

• Reply Chris Cramer November 4, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Hey Jennifer, I know exactly how you feel. Try lighting candles and cozy up by the fire, if you have one. Also I used to put little lights on the dogs’ collars and let them romp a bit at the golf course. And, of course you can always dance!
    Hope you are OK and have a nice TG, wherever you are! Love, Chris

• Reply Jennifer Coté November 4, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Thank you for the tip about lighting candles, Chris! I feel a little bit cozier already. 😉 Attaching a little flashlight to Claude’s collar at night also sounds really fun — I can only imagine how seeing lights dance as he bobs along on his walks will plaster a perma-smile on my face. I’ll have to try that…Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!